Monday, January 28, 2013

Weblog Journal

Well, I prematurely posted my thoughts on the readings I guess but there are no regrets right now (just a little embarrassment - standard.) I'm just going to blame it all on the million cold medicines I'm taking while trying to get out of my sick bed.

I honestly have no idea how I would handle Arab/Israeli negotiations. It's the kind of thing where you can read as many articles as you can find, or watch a million documentaries on YouTube, and still feel as though you have no idea how to grasp the situation. It's not like you can sit the two sides down, offer them a cup of tea, and be like, "Hey guys, let's be rational here, what's happening with this whole war thing? We're still on that, right?" For a lot of people, this conflict has spanned their entire lives, and if not the entirety of their lives, at least most of it. Both sides want it to be over, sure, but how do you just end something that has taken up every day of your life for sixty years? How do you get over hurts, perceived or real, that have lasted generations? So many people have tried to analyse the conflict and come up with solutions, but I don't think anything right now is going to appease both sides and nothing is going to end while both are hurting.

I think the heart of the conflict right now is Jerusalem. The (illegal) settlements are one thing - yes, Israel needs to stop building them if any peace is going to be achieved - but ultimately even if the question of the settlements is met there is still the issue of Jerusalem. Both sides want the city as their capital and reject the idea of leaving it independent from both, so how to keep both happy? Plans have been made to split the city, but I'm not sure how that would work leaving the capital of two states who have fought for so long in such close proximity.

It's not like it's an issue of understanding each other either - it's not like Palestinians or Israelis  have never interacted, it's not uncommon to find people who speak both Hebrew and Arabic there fluently, or at least understand SOME of the other language. You'll also find people from both sides standing up for rights or protesting the conflict and calling for an end. I feel like half the battle lies with either government, not the people themselves, but how do you get two governments to stop bickering? There's also the problem of extremists on either side to deal with and satisfy. There's just no feasible way to meet everyone's needs here, so somebody in charge is going to have to suck it up and compromise.

I know it's been said before, but I think the first step to peace will be removing the Wall and any illegal settlements. Israel should not be above UN laws - I mean, until recently, Israel and the US pretty much controlled it and everyone else had to follow the law. I understand that Israel feels that removing the Wall is a security risk, but considering that as long as it's up no lasting peace is going to be achieved, isn't that just perpetuating the risk? It doesn't have to all come down in one day, and at least stop adding on to it! The IDF is one of the best armies(?) in the world; I'm sure they can come up with a plan to keep Israel safe AND get rid of the wall.

Another thing that could help end the conflict are the groups that condone Israeli and Palestinian cooperation. There's a summer camp that my friend told me about that takes school children from both sides (and I think from the US as well?) and they all spend the summer swimming and making crafts and getting along, and I know it sounds all rainbow-y and utopian, but if that camp can be successful, who's to say that an adult version wouldn't work out? I mean, sure, camping and crafting doesn't sound very adult, but I think it sounds like a great time. Realistically though, I like the idea of having groups and maybe charities that would promote Palestinians and Israelis interacting outside the sphere of politics.

There's so many ideas that have been put forward though, and I feel like this topic can be debated endlessly and you can find the flaws or the benefits to any one of them. It's so difficult to say what could work and what won't.. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone says in class tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the Wall and the settlements. Did you know that the Israeli government is building ANOTHER wall on the northern border between Israel and Lebanon? Their defense borders on paranoia and is (I think) creating more hostility in the region than eliminating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Yasmine! I really enjoyed your post. I found it very insightful. I agree as well that the wall serves more harm than good. One just has to look back on history and think about the Berlin Wall. How did that work out for everybody? Thanks again for sharing your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yasmine,

    It seems easy for people to throw out ideas for peace, implementing them is another matter altogether. I think that cross cooperation among youth is the best way to start tackling deep-rooted prejudices that disrupt the peace process. The camp you mentioned is similar to one I mentioned in my blog, Building Bridges for Peace. Through this cooperation, perhaps the peace process has a chance.

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed reading your post, Yasmine. You did a great job summarizing your ideas for peace in Israel. Just like the movie we saw in class last week; begin with the children. Maybe as the parents work together in class projects for their children, and work together in after school sports, etc., it will open up the possibility for adults interaction amongst both sides. The wall....isn't it interesting the many, many times the "wall" has been built, only to be tore down again...repeatedly throughout history...it may be in a different place, but I think the overall effect may be the same...maybe the message as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that one of the first steps that needs to be taken is to remove the wall. Symbols mean a lot to Jerusalem and its inhabitants. We have learned a lot about religious symbols and identity but I think the wall is just as powerful a symbol than any other in Jerusalem. It's showing the Palestinians, that they are troublemakers, or outsiders that need to be kept out. It is creating this mentality of "us" vs. "them" and it will only lead to more problems. I also really like Kyle's comment about the Berlin wall, and I think it is a really good way to think about this situation. Walls never really create peace or security, just the false belief of peace and security.

      Delete