Monday, January 21, 2013

Palestinian rap: Shadia Mansour

This has nothing to do with the class, but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this.

I don't know how many of you guys would be interested in this because it's in Arabic, but Shadia Mansour is fantastic (I'm slightly biased - though usually not into rap so maybe not that biased?). She's known as the "first lady of hip-hop" and she's kind of controversial because she sings about politics and the war/conflict and she's a woman, but what's rap if not typically controversial and in your face, right? She's from Haifa, but grew up in the UK and spent her summers in Palestine and she does feature in a few English bands (though she herself typically sings/raps in Arabic). Anyway, I had a bit of a tough time deciding which one to show you because she sings to/about Israel/is a lot, but a lot of them are controversial and I guess this one is the least so? I don't know, but the music video is pretty cool because she wears a traditional Palestinian dress throughout and it was all shot in Palestine/Jerusalem so the background is pretty great. I tried to find one that was subtitled but that didn't go very well, so I'll just post the lyrics to go with it so you'll know what she's all about. The song is called "The Arabic Scarf" (the koffeyah is that black and white/red and white chequered scarf that people wear.)

Fair warning: it's all Palestinian nationalism and pro-Arabs from here on out.
Also, I couldn't be bothered/didn't quite have the time to translate her myself so I stole the translation from online and read through it. It's fairly accurate, though it sounds really weird reading it out in English. As an English song I don't like it, but in Arabic I do, if that makes sense? I don't really know how to explain it, but at least the lyrics will give you an idea about the song.


Good morning, cousins; welcome, come in.
What would you like us to serve you, Arab blood or tears from our eyes?
I think that's how they expected us to receive them.
That's why they got embarrassed when they realized their mistake.

That's why we rocked the kuffiyeh, the white and black.
Now these dogs are startin' to wear it as a trend.
No matter how they design it, no matter how they change its color,
The kuffiyeh is Arabic, and it will stay Arabic.

The gear we rock, they want it; our culture, they want it;
Our dignity, they want it; everything that's ours, they want it;
Half your country, half your home; why, why? No, I tell 'em.
Stealin' something that ain't theirs, I can't allow it.
They imitatin' us in what we wear, wear; this land is not enough for them. What else do you want?
They're greedy for Jerusalem. Learn how to say "human beings".
Before y'all ever rocked a kuffiyeh, we here to remind 'em who we are.
And whether they like it or not, this is our clothing style.

[Chorus:]
That's why we rock the kuffiyeh, cuz it's patriotic.
The kuffiyeh, the kuffiyeh is Arabic.
That's why we rock the kuffiyeh, our essential identity.
The kuffiyeh, the kuffiyeh is Arabic.
Come on, throw up the kuffiyeh (throw that kuffiyeh up for me).
The kuffiyeh, the kuffiyeh is Arabic.
Throw it up! Come on, Greater Syria!.
The kuffiyeh is Arabic, and it will stay Arabic.

[Verse 2:]
There's none yet like the Arab people.
Show me which other nation in the world was more influential.
The picture is clear: we are the cradle of civilization.
Our history and cultural heritage testify to our existence.
That's why I rocked the Palestinian gear,
From Haifa, Jenin, Jabal al Nar to Ramallah.
Let me see the kuffiyeh, the white and red.
Let me throw it up in the sky; I'm
Arab, and my tongue creates earthquakes.
I shake the words of war.
Listen, I'm Shadia Mansour, and the gear I'm rockin' is my identity.
Since the day I was born raisin' people's awareness been my responsibility.
But I was raised between fear and evil; between two areas,
Between the grudging and the poor, I seen life from both sides.
God bless the kuffiyeh; however you rock me, wherever you see me,
I stay true to my origins: Palestinian.

5 comments:

  1. I did not expect this rap to be about Kuffiyeh's after reading the first paragraph of the rap. I thought it would be about politics and war and beliefs and struggles. It's awesome you put this rap up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I knew Arabic to fully enjoy the song but I still found it very interesting. I wouldn't mind looking up her more "controversial" songs. I just found out she is of Christian Palestinian decent which is interesting since it is common for people to strictly associate Palestinian with Islam. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I really like her style. And the lyrics, though definitely a little bit intense, speak to the intense circumstances in which the Palestinians must live and their need for identity. The object symbolism of the keffiyeh helps to not only set them apart in a material way, but stands as an emblem of the Palestinian movement and an outward show of support.

    I read that because of the popularity of the keffiyeh as a political symbol of the PLO (made famous by Arafat) and as a fashion statement, Chinese companies have dominated the market, selling cheaply made keffiyeh scarves. This is causing Palestinian makers (whose scarves are 100% cotton and generally better quality) to go out of business. Pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I actually came across Shadia myself when I was looking into Palestinian rap. In many ways, Palestinian rap seems to be much more mature and "conscious" than what we've seen rap mainstream turn into today in the states. We see here that it's just as much of a vent as any other art form. I see it as a great way for Palestinians to do a number of positive things - 1) Manifest their anger and passion towards a productive art, 2) motivate others (younger, peers, older) to do the same and 3) get their voices heard.

    I also think it's interesting when American rappers like M1 take risks like that collaboration to stand up for what they believe. It invites others into the conflict that may have otherwise not been connected. Thanks for the post, and thanks for providing a translation!

    ReplyDelete