Monday, January 21, 2013

Reading Response 3: Armstrong 1-4


When I was reading Armstrong’s introduction, I definitely had to agree with her about the idea that “history is a dimension of the present.” You just walk through the streets of Jerusalem, and suddenly it doesn’t feel like you’re in 2012 or 2013 any more, everything is just so old and beautiful, and sure, there are modern things there like cars and technology, and people aren’t dressed like they belong in the 1800s or anything, but the city itself – the walls, the streets, everything just feels so old, and by extension you just feel like you’re part of it all.  I also like that she addressed the idea of religious pluralism, and people seeing the city in different ways, because it’s so true: it means different things to different people, and you can know it going in to the city, but actually feeling it and seeing it makes it feel more real than a romanticised description told to you by someone else.

She also brought up a good point that, for me at least, seems to reflect on the conflict at large: the whole concept of being FIRST. We were here first, we built the city first, it was important to us first. My five year old brother does that too: he saw that candy first, so it’s his. I didn’t include that last part to belittle the conflict or the people fighting every day, but just to point out the childishness of it all. So what if you were here first? It doesn’t change the fact that others have been there for a long time, that they’re still there, and that they’re probably going to continue to be there for a very long time. I understand that this part of it is small, that there are greater issues to deal with before the conflict can be resolved, but people do bring this argument up thinking it’s a valid point (my own family included) and I think that as long as anyone using it believes it, then progress can’t be made beyond this point.

Alright, that last paragraph was a huge rant and slightly off-tangent, but I think I’m going to leave it in as I genuinely do believe it.

I also really liked the part where she was talking about the similarity between art and religion, and the importance of practicing charity and compassion in every day life in order for the city to be considered ‘holy’ within religious circles. I’d never really considered that comparison before, and then she went on to say how some of the most uncharitable and atrocious acts had been committed to people within Jerusalem, and it just made me reconsider my own definition of ‘holy.’ She talked about how every major religion required its practitioners to practice charity and compassion outside the place of worship, but if Jerusalem is such a religious city, then why are there people living in fear of rockets or suicide bombers or being forcibly removed from their house?

Ultimately though, I liked the reading this week. It was a bit difficult for me to get into it once I passed the introduction and started in on the first chapter, but once I was in the zone it wasn’t that hard to keep reading. Sometimes all the information was a bit dense and I felt like it was going in one ear and out the other, but it was great to see a mix of the historical and religious history that Jerusalem had, especially its history from the ancient days. I also liked that so far Armstrong seems pretty impartial and hasn’t been “pro” anything and is more informative than editorialising. (Is that even a word? Did I use it properly? I’m not sure.)

3 comments:

  1. Yasmine,

    I really agree with the first two paragraphs of your response. I have been to Israel once and I can also say that also they are a very technologically sound country but the architecture is amazing. It makes you feel as though you are in an unique place. There is no other place like Jerusalem in the world.

    As for the second part, I have really been putting a lot of emphasis on multiple religions having their own opinions. Armstrong does a good job at being unbiased, but we really dont know who's Bible the perspective is really from. It will be interesting to see how the rest of history plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasmine,
    I actually have never been to Jerusalem but the picture that Armstrong paints definitely makes it sound like a place that doesn't know time. I wish that there were more places in the world that have been untouched by "globalization" and the modern. I hope that I have the opportunity to visit there someday!

    I also found Armstrong's take on the question of religion and religious texts as a way of defining history. I think what is important for everyone to remember is that the beauty (and perhaps tragedy) of this city is that it is a place where different people identify with different aspects. I guess you could say that "holy" has a definition, but in my opinion, holy is interpretive and personal. I really enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you brought up the "I was here first mentality." This mentality is contagious. As soon as one group begins to exclude another group then the stakes are escalated. When the exclusion becomes violent or physical, than the other side must respond to the escalation. The "I was here first mentality" is a mentality of escalation.

    Where else does this sense of entitlement come from? As we read, David claimed entitlement to Jerusalem basically to advance his political strategy. Because of the kingdom he established in Jerusalem millions of Jews now claim divine entitlement to Jerusalem. Every action has millions reactions.

    ReplyDelete