Monday, February 25, 2013

Reading Responses :)


The articles this week were pretty great! I love graffiti as a form of artwork, and the Wall has some of the best graffiti I’ve seen in person! I like that the focus of the ‘Writing on the Wall’ article was that graffiti was a form of expression, and also highlighted some of the dangers that graffiti-ing the Wall has that wouldn’t be present if you were to tag a wall or a street sign in other parts of the world (for instance, the soldiers marching up the young boys at gun point to blacken it out.) There’s a lot of great artwork and messages on the Wall today, and I feel like maybe the soldiers have given up on trying to blacken them all out because some of the more famous ones have been up there for years (like Banksy’s work!) Back in the days when I was fifteen and thought I was cool, my brother and I found a relatively deserted corner of the Wall and had a field day drawing all over it. I forget what we put up there exactly, just that one of them was something ridiculous like, “Make tea, not war.” (I didn’t choose the thug life, guys – the thug life chose me.) Anyway, if you walk or drive past the Wall you’ll see a lot of really cool graffiti, and it almost always has a message. I think more and more they’re being done in English too, and I think maybe it’s because more and more people are seeing the graffiti on an international level so the message is getting passed around to more people.

I also liked Noura’s article as a sort of recap of the information about the conflict. She writes really well, so it was great to go through it! I never really considered the idea of a homeland and a political country being two separate states – everything in the Middle East ends up circling back to politics (try having dinner with my family and their friends and count how many times politics is brought up!) so I think that was my favourite part of her article.

3 comments:

  1. Yasmine,

    I think it is really cool that you, yourself have contributed to the graffiti on the Wall. I'm curious to know if the article we read seemed to portray how the Wall looks today. It's interesting to get a perspective from someone who has visited the Wall. The fact that many of the messages are written in English is extremely interesting to me. In fact, before I read your post, I had thought most of the messages were portrayed through images and/or symbols. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, is there anyway to take grafitti to the world-wide-interweb? Like maybe I'm taggin up your blog right now? Anyways. It would be cool for our class to make up some web grafitti, and then post it to some public internet space. You know? Like let's make some noise about our class and our project? "Make tea not war." is such a good slogan! Yes if only the dodo-heads of state were drinking tea at the peace talks, maybe things would be different now.
    -Aanksey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your blog post was really cool and funny haha. It's so cool how you've actually been to a spot like this and participated in this practice. I also agree with what you said about everything in the middle east circling back to politics. It's such a politically charged, and complicated part of the world, and especially today, everyone has their own political opinion about how things should be done.

    ReplyDelete