Monday, March 18, 2013

Reading Responses!

Welcome back from Spring Break, everyone!! :)


Suad Amiry writes beautifully! It was great to come back from spring break and to be able to read about her experiences. I particularly enjoyed reading her A Dog’s Life chapter: getting my own Palestinian ID was kind of a trial since I don’t live there, but at the time my father was working for Abu Mazen so it wasn’t as difficult as it could have been, I guess. Still, they wouldn’t give my brother his ID at all and now it’s too late and he can’t get one (from what I understand, they told us if you don’t live in the area you have to get one when you turn sixteen and if you wait afterwards it’s almost impossible so he doesn’t have one now that he’s turned eighteen and I doubt he’ll ever be able to get one.) My step mother has a Jerusalem ID and I wish we could get onto hers because then we could fly in, but they won’t give her son or my father one since we’re from Beit Sahour, so who knows how that will turn out. I loved Amiry’s chapters because I could totally relate to the ID part of it (not the gas masks part, thankfully – that would have been a little too Are you my mummy?-ish for me.)

I read Galit’s few pages, but I felt a little lost, like I’d come in halfway through a chapter and couldn’t figure out what she was talking about. I know she was discussing Jerusalem and comparing the city to a woman, but I wasn’t sure about the context. Did everyone else only see three pages? I might have clicked on a weird link.


No comments:

Post a Comment